Sunday 23 November 2008

LORNA BOWMAN




My friend Lorna made this amazing butterfly for me before I left Sheffield as a parting gift! She has made a lot of interesting Jewellery with wire and beads and it seems to be her private passion so I felt like asking her more about it...

Are you working on any Jewellery at the moment? No I’m concentrating on my Creative Art Practise BA at the moment.

What was the piece you worked on? I’m in the middle of a bracelet.

How did your interest in making jewellery develop? I’ve always, always, loved jewellery, I’m fascinated by how it looks on people. I always notice Jewellery and wonder where it came from. So I‘ve thought ‘I’d love to know how to make it’. I finally looked into it when I moved to Sheffield and had the time.

What about when you were little? I didn’t wear or make jewellery; I wasn’t given the chance. I was never a girly girl.

Have you made any for yourself? Yes I did, but I ended up giving them away (chuckles). I’m planning to make a necklace for myself.

Do you use references when you are working? I have often seen designs that give me ideas.

Would you like a career in Jewellery? Yes I’d love one. I used to think about opening a jewellery shop. We’ll see.

Would you ever collaborate with others in your Jewellery making? Maybe for a specific piece, but not as a rule.

Would you develop your Jewellery into sculpture? Yes, I may do this because on the Arts degree I’m on I am taking Jewellery making and silversmithing workshops. This should see my work develop in new directions. I’m really enjoying sculpture classes at the moment. The two mediums will intermingle in the end.

Have you ever been on a Jewellery making class before? No, I’ve only worked with wire & beads before, but now with silversmithing I’ll be able to take my ideas further.

Are you interested in selling your work? I’m very keen to set up an Ebay shop very soon.

Describe your favourite kinds of beads… Crystals. They are transparent but coloured beads.
They’re very beautiful when they catch the light, they show different colours as the light catches them at different times.

How important is colour? Really important, colour says a lot about a personality. Some people will be vibrant red, others may be like a deep green or some people will need to be a mix.

Do you find yourself looking at Jewellery people wear when you are out? ALL the time. Constantly, it’s the first thing I notice.

Do you think ‘oh they’re wearing the wrong piece’? Lol! Yes often.

How long does it take to make your Jewellery? I can make a necklace in 20 minutes, but bracelets can take days. It depends on what you are making.

Would you like to add anything? Jewellery says a lot about a person. It can reflect their personality. People should take as much thought with what jewellery to wear as they do in what clothes to wear.

No comments: